Last Updated on
“Ever thought to build your own home or get furniture renovated all by yourself? If you follow your expert advice and want your home décor to be an apple of your eye, then the best finish nailer is all that you are looking for. With the power of the finish nailer in your hand, you can turn your house into a paradise.”
Welcome to Best Finish Nailer Reviews and Buying Guide of 2019. If you’re having problems for home improvements, the process might make you tiresome, time consuming and costs a fortune. But, don’t hassle. A perfect finish nailer has come to your rescue, which would not only save time and money, but would also work under your whims and fancies. Now, you all would be wondering what is a finish nailer and how would it accomplish the task. Let’s go in a bit more detail about the product.
What is Finish Nailer? A Finish Nailer is a tool used for nailing large pieces of material together, without the fear of pieces detaching loose. It’s pretty much handy, versatile and easy to use. It’s extensively used to aid furniture construction like building repository cabinets, kitchen closets, etc… Most finish nailers use 15 and 16 gauge with 1” to 2.5” nails for its piercing and technically have more holding power, so they are the quintessential choice for harder and robust material. It’s also light weight, easy to handle and eliminates the need of a hammer. This machine is absolutely user friendly and makes the DIY processes hassle free.
If you are considering home modernization projects or home remodeling and design is an imperative topic, then finish nailers are an ultimate choice. No machine can replace them in this category. Furthermore, you can use finish nailers for construction of chain rails, wooden furniture, baseboards, window paneling, hardwood furniture, crown molding or trimming projects. The list of the benefits is endless. Many people have already started the process and explored the tools, but those who wish to commence it now, you have come to the right place.
Best Finish Nailer Reviews and Buying Guide of 2019 is an impeccable guide for you to help you make a rightful decision. You will develop a better understanding of the product based on the pros, cons, details, features, cheap price even the reviews that are presented in a hierarchical manner in this guide. You will not have to refer to any other resource other than this promising guide. This one is authentic because the features and specifications presented in it are taken from trusted sites and when you have all the information that you need at one single spot, it just makes your decision appropriate and quitable.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Finish Nailer Reviews
- Best Finish Nailer Reviews
- Top Rated Finish Nailers Summary
- Types of Finish Nailers
- How to choose the Best Finish Nailer
- Tips of Using Finish Nailer
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Top 5 Best Finish Nailer Reviews
To help choose the best finish nailer which suits your concerns and budget, here is the finest comparison of the 5 top rated finish nailers, which have different specifications. Let’s explore more about them.
|Finish Nailer||Power Source||Magazine Capacity||Shipping||Weight||Editor's Rating||Price|
|Hitachi NT65MA4 1-1/4 Inch to 2-1/2 Inch 15-Gauge Angled Finish Nailer||Pneumatic||100 Nails||FREE Shipping||4.2 lbs||(4.5 / 5)||See on Amazon|
|Hitachi NT65M2S 16-Gauge 2-1/2 Inch Straight Finish Nailer Kit||Pneumatic||100 Nails||FREE Shipping||3.7 lbs||(4.5 / 5)||See on Amazon|
|Freeman P4FRFNCB Framing/Finishing Combo Kit||Pneumatic||_||FREE Shipping||6.39 lbs||(4.4 / 5)||See on Amazon|
|DEWALT DC618K XRP 1-1/4 inch – 2-1/2 inch 16 Gauge Finish Nailer||Pneumatic||120 Nails||FREE Shipping||8.5 lbs||(4.5 / 5)||See on Amazon|
|BOSTITCH N62FNK-2 15-Gauge 1 1/4 Inch to 2-1/2-Inch Angled Finish Nailer||Pneumatic||130 Nails||FREE Shipping||3.8 lbs||(4.5 / 5)||See on Amazon|
Best Finish Nailer Reviews
Having discussed the top Finish Nailers, let’s see what the users have to say about these particular Finish Nailers. This would not only help you to get a concrete idea about the various Finish Nailers available in the market, but would also let you make an informed decision about the Best Finish Nailer.
Hitachi NT65MA4 Finish Nailer Review
The Hitachi NT65MA4 from a trusted brand, Hitachi, has 15-Gauge Angled Finish Nailer with Air Duster. It is an ideal nailer for installing window and door casings, chair rails, closets, exterior trim and staircases. It’s an easy, affordable and a convenient to use device.
- The unique feature of this Finish Nailer is the Air duster which takes care of the workspace cleaning and keeps the machine neat and tidy.
- 360 degrees full adjustable exhaust, which is pretty much handy, as it makes our work more flexible and versatile.
- Easy switching between modes. Based just one click, you can go to sequential or firing triggering as per your choice.
- With just 4.2 lbs (1.90 Kgs), it makes eases work and increase throughput.
- Gripping is tightened for a perfect and secure holding.
- Five year limited Warranty period.
- A sparse nose cap is not complementary with the Finish Nailer. But, it is easily available at a local hardware store or you can always order online.
This Hitachi NT65MA4 Finish Nailer comes at an affordable price. Also, it is light weight and economical. You would be closely pursued to find such a Finish Nailer with all its advantages and benefits it procures and from a more reputable brand name, Hitachi.
Hitachi NT65M2S Finish Nailer Review
Hitachi NT65M2S – There are numerous reasons to love this finish nailer from Hitachi again. With its sheer forcing capacity into the base (or wooden base), it’s suitable for thick and hardest DIY for your construction purpose.
- Adjustable penetration depth for a smoother and professional finish.
- Air Duster, allows the machine to be kept neat and tidy. Its ability to clear the dust and debris after the job completion is remarkable.
- Flexible grip provides comfort and protected hold.
- Easy switching between bump firing and sequential modes.
- Preventing the case of a nail jam and in case it occurs, it has an easy front nose to clear the nail jam.
- Work surface protection ensured by a no mar tip.
- 360 degrees rotating exhaust keeps the air and dust away from the work station of the user, thus building his focus.
- Very light weight and balanced with just 3.7 lbs / 1.67 Kgs.
- Seven year limited Warranty period.
- A spare nose cap is not complementary with the nailer. But, that’s not a major issue, as you can easily get it in your nearby home improvement store or online.
The Hitachi NT65M2S gives your home a perfect finish with its variety of features that it brings with it. It is the best tool for tackling the detail work that makes your home stand out. Easy loading feature and adjustable settings make it easy to use and reliable to the core. It’s a complete package.
Freeman P4FRFNCB Framing/Finishing Combo Review
This Freeman P4FRFNCB is just a blessing. It’s a combined kit containing various tools that would be needed as per the requirement of the contractor. Since, it is available as a full combo; its manufacturers have kept durability as a prime focus in their mind. It can strike a cord and can provide you the best for your money.
- It’s a carpenter’s delight. It consists of a framing Nailer, angle Finish Nailer, Brad Nailer and narrow Crown Stapler.
- In addition to the above things mentioned, it also provides a bag with other manuals and safety instructions.
- When used on cylinders and other heavy objects, it shows less tear and wear.
- Reduced risk of misfires and internal failure.
- Its durability is one of the prime focuses of the manufacturers and makes it easy to use the machine while working with heavy loads.
- Jam released process hastened.
- Seven year limited Warranty.
- This combo package has great advantages to offer to the virtuoso’s. But the novice might feel a bit perplexed on its usage. For example, when they are initially trying to load nails and set into depth. It might be a tricky process, but experience can make things better.
The Freeman P4FRFNCB Finish Nailer is all what you need. Its smart combo offer makes it long for. It’s a complete DIY tool and is especially recommended for the experts.
DEWALT DC618K XRP Finish Nailer Review
This Dewalt DC618K only varies in the power source as compared to rest four. It is powered by an 18V NiCad battery. This tool is mainly for professionals and has the feature of bump firing. Carpenters, woodcutters are the ones that require this tool the most.
- Project can be completed very rapidly as the machine charges quite rapidly.
- Both sequential and bump firing triggers enabled. Sequential mode is mainly for accurate placement of the nail whereas bump firing is for exorbitant speed.
- LED Lights provide the function of lastingness and durability.
- Actual electronic depth adjustment.
- It’s Cordless and hence, don’t have to drag the air compressor.
- Three year limited warranty, two years of free service warranty, 90-day money-back guarantee.
- The machine is quite heavy and the head of the unit is fat. Hence, for that purpose, it has a belt cap which has to be used to keep it upright.
The Dewalt DC618K uses the precision of hand nailing and the speed and ease of pneumatic nailing. With this combination in hand, you can drive the nails at five nails per second. It can fire nails at softwood, hardwood and even plywood. Its basic features including a narrow nose, aids it to fit into tight spaces.
BOSTITCH N62FNK-2 Finish Nailer Review
This Bostitch N62FNK is the lightest of all Finish Nailers vailable in the market. Owing to its light weight, it helps in the job completion at hand, quicker and easier.
- No lubrication needed and work surfaces are free from any stains.
- Highest driving force (400 inch pounds) available in this finish Nailer.
- Jam clearing problem is taken care of with minimum delay in work.
- Greater accuracy and precision.
- Includes carrying case and some fasteners.
- Three year warranty, 1 year service guarantee and 90 day money back guarantee.
- It only shoots Stanley nails, but that’s not a big problem as these nails would be available in your nearby home store or you can always order online
The Bostitch N62FNK finish nailer has good power, no misfires, easy to clear out jammed nails as well maintained balance. It’s an awesome nailer and you can feel the brand quality (Bostitch) all through.
Top Rated Finish Nailers Summary
Finish nailers are absolutely a blessing in one’s home. You can always make your home beautiful and homely with just triggering the device into action. There is absolutely no reason why every home shouldn’t have a finish nailer. It aids in getting your personal opinion about a particular work and also gives you the joy of having completed the task by yourself.
Buying the best finish nailer is not quite as simple as you might think. Before you go out spending your hard-earned money, you need to make sure that you’re purchasing a nailer that will meet your needs and can handle the task at hand. Not all nailers are created equal, and some nailers are better suited for certain jobs than others. Whether you’re looking to purchase a finish nailer for the first time, or you simply want to find a new one that is top-rated, the above nailers listed are some of the best and most affordable.
*** Discover Must-have Finish Nailer Accessories below:
Types of Finish Nailers
As mentioned earlier, there are a variety of finish nailers available in the market catering to every person’s needs based on his budget and requirements. There are mainly three types of finish nailer kits based on their power source. They are pneumatic corded nailers and cordless nailers powered by battery or fuel:
Pneumatic Finish Nailer
– Pneumatic Finish Nailers are least expensive and a ubiquitous tool for your DIY purposes. However, they require an air compressor to act as their power source, which might add up to some of your expense. Now, how do they work? A pneumatic finish nailer drives its nails using air from the air compressor. The pressure ratings on the air compressor (measured in PSI) should be equal or greater than the than the requirements of the nailer. Furthermore, it can handle combined load, but the air compressor poses limitability.
Electric Finish Nailer
– The electric finish nailer or battery powered finish nailer use battery-supplied electricity to propel a piston; the piston fires down onto a blade mechanism which propels the nail into the target material. Its usage is ubiquitous and you would never encounter any problem while dealing with this finish nailer. The only con of this nailer is its heavy weight. Therefore, it should be used quite carefully and diligently. Owing to its heavier weight as compared to the pneumatic counterparts, it’s a little costly. But due to lower maintenance needed in this finish nailer, the price is just worth it.
Gas Finish Nailer
– The gas powered finish nailer uses a fuel canister that is sparked by a small battery to drive the piston. The gas finish nailers are for novices who wish to start a little DIY for their homes. While a professional workman can choose from the variety of other products available. The only advantage in having this nailer is that you can move it around according to your specific purpose. Hence, for smaller projects, this nailer can work up to your expectations.
A few newer cordless finish nailers are now designed to work without gas cartridges where instead of burning gas, they work off of an internal gas charge. This gas charge drives the piston to set the nail, and a small motor recompresses the gas for the next shot. By working in this way, the cost of gas charges is totally eliminated. Although the battery doesn’t last for as many shots, it can still go several hours or even a whole day, before needed to be recharged.
How to choose the Best Finish Nailer
Having considered all the models available with all there magnificent features, its time now how to make a correct and an informed decision about the nailer that you are looking forward to, so that it comes handy to you and you never regret or have any complaints regarding the machine.
The question remains what all to consider while choosing the best finish nailer for your project to give you the best value of money you invest in? We can provide you many ways to select the best model from the plethora available, but it would be of no use to you, if you do not know which project you are going to undertake? Hence, the first thing is the type of nails you undertake for the project.
– Selecting nails that match your work profile can be time consuming task. What type of nails would my machine require? Will the nails fit in the nailer and does it has the power required to fire them? The answers to these fundamental questions have to be accurate to give you the masterpiece you are expecting from the finish nailer. Many finish nailers require different nails for their operation. There are 15 gauge, 16 gauge, 18 gauge and 23 gauge nails.
• 15 Gauge Finish Nailers – These nailers are newer in the industry and have picked up pace recently. They have comparatively larger diameter than the 16 Gauge Nails and the chance of a nail being twisted is greatly reduced with the aid of this nailer type.
• 16 Gauge Finish Nailers – It is said, ‘old is gold’ and this saying holds true for these nails. These nails have a smaller diameter and are able to penetrate a thin wood piece with ease. These have been in use since ages and today also are one of the most trusted and chosen nailer types.
• 18 Gauge Finish Nailers – This nailer is the most famous one for DIYers and people who only use a nailer occasionally. They are generally used for panelling, furniture repair and trimming jobs. These nailers can accommodate nails sizes ranging from 1-1/4” to 2”.
• 23 Gauge Finish Nailers – These nailers offer the least holding power and are only ideal for jobs that need small nails such as building a pet house, picture frame assembly, small trim, etc. They are available in headed and headless variations. They can shoot nails ranging from ½” to 1” in length.
Straight vs. Angled Nailers
– Another major difference between finish nailers which you should know while buying is their built. Finish nailers are available in two different types, straight and angled. This term refers to the angle of the nail’s magazine, in relation to the nailer head.
• An angled finish nailer – This nailer is more compact, expensive, accurate and a breeze to use with thicker nails in tighter spaces. The shape of the nail heads is D-shaped and this is, without a doubt, better than ‘T’ shaped heads of straight nailers.
Most architectural trim can be installed with either nailer. However, you can’t nail inside corners of cove molding with a straight finish nailer. In that case an angled nailer is required so that the nail gun will clear and the nose of the gun can be pressed against the wood.
• A straight finish nailer – It is bulkier, cheaper and not renowned for offering access to tight spaces. They tend to shoot a thinner nail. As a whole, they lack accuracy and agility, which is unlikely in an angled finish nailer.
It’s important to buy nails which will fit the gun to be used. Straight collated nails won’t fit in a nailer with an angled magazine and vice-versa. Likewise, the nail gauge is important to prevent nails jamming in the tool since a larger diameter nail could cause permanent damage to a nailer. Straight guns are generally compatible with smaller nails ranging from 16 gauge, whereas, angled guns can be used with 15 gauge larger nails.
Cordless nailers are increasingly more common than the traditional pneumatic ones. The main benefit one acquires from using a cordless nailer is its ease of use and maintenance. These types of nailers do not require an air compressor to be carried or run a hose all around in the work station area. It works on the principle of gas ignition. Once, the gas is ignited, this driving force is what that drives the nail into the target. Recently, some new cordless nailers have come up that work on the motor power principle. In this system, the object drives energy from the motor which pushes the nail forward with a sheer force.
Nail Firing Methods
The firing method of nails generally depend on two controls- a firing trigger and the safety tip which fires when the tip comes in contact with the work surface. Finishing nailers feature safety tip and/or firing trigger. Based on these control, the firing methods are divided in four different types – contact, full-sequential, single sequential and single actuation. Please note that different manufacturers use different names for these firing methods.
Most finish nailers today have selectable triggers so you can have the trigger set for bump-fire or sequential mode, depending upon your work preference. However, not all models have both internal selections internal with the nail gun. Many require the trigger be removed and replaced to change modes. In some cases, the second trigger is included with the nail gun, but occasionally it’s sold as a separate accessory.
Dry Fire Lock Out
One of the significant features of a machine is the ‘Dry Fire Lock Out’ Feature. As the name suggests, it would prohibit the nailer from firing when empty. Hence, save the nailer as well as the user from any misfires or accidents. Now days, most machines have an open Dry Fire Lock Out system in which the user can view the supply of the nails and can fill nails in the nailer if empty.
An exhaust mechanism is of utmost importance when working in a dusty area and helps to keep the dust and debris in check. This is one of the most imperative features one needs to look on while going for a perfect finish nailer. One of the most important features of an exhaust mechanism is that it should be far from the trim position. Otherwise, in its usage, the machine could blow any liquid (for example, oil) and that would lead stains on the wooden target in use.
To know how much a machine should push the nail in depth, a depth adjustment technique is required. Depth adjustment allows you to adjust the depth up to which you want to drive the nails in the work surface. By adjusting the depth you can leave the nails flush, protruding, sink and countersink.
Some nailers require depth adjustment while others can be done simply by the hand. This is one of the most obligatory features to look in a machine before making the final decision to purchase it. If the depth adjustment is poor, the nail might keep dangling in the mid air and might also harm the user with its open edge. Hence, for safer usage and prevent accidents, essential depth adjustment is a must.
It is also important to ensure that the finish nailer you choose features jam clearing easily. It is very common for the nails to get jammed in the magazine. So, with the help of quick release jam clearance, you’ll be able to clear such jams easily.
There are many well-known brands from the company as Bostitch, Senco, Paslode, Porter Cable, Hitachi, Bosch, Ryobi, Rigid, Craftsman, Milwaukeeto, Max, Freeman, Numax, Husky, Grex, etc… and many different brands in finish nailers market.
Price depends mainly on the brand name and the type of nailer you are looking forward to. For a professional worker, choosing a more progressive nailer is of utmost importance because it would cost a little more than the regular one. Whereas, if you are a new DIYer and looking for a much smaller project, then regular ones would do justice to you.
Warranty and Repair
As stated above, different companies and brands have different services to offer. Hence, surely go through the warranty services before making any purchases. This would always ensure a speedy help in case of an unexpected malfunction of the machine.
Tips of Using Finish Nailer
The very nature of any type of finish nailer requires that we pay all due care and diligence to our safety and that of those around as while we work. Below are some safety measures that are to follow at all times while working with any type of nailers.
- Always read the manufacturer’s instructions before using any nailer. Always follow it strictly to ensure safety.
- Never alter a nailer for any reason.
- Have a check of the machine before commencing your work.
- Must wear safety glasses and other equipments mentioned in the instructions or on the kit.
- Have a check on the power source you are working on. Disconnect the machine from the supply if you want to check the configurations or clear the jamming of nails of the machine.
- Never point the machine to any person or animal and also maintain a safe distance from the machine and the power source.
These all things should be kept in mind and gone through it a few times when purchasing any type of nailer. These would definitely ensure the best deal for your product.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Will I get manufacturers warranty if I buy a new finish nailer from Amazon?
2. What’s the difference between a finish nailer and brad nailer?
3. How long will it take for my finish nailer to arrive after I order?
4. If I don’t like my finish nailer, can I return it for refund or replacement?
5. Should I buy a pneumatic or battery operated finish nailer?
6. What jobs can I work on with a finish nailer?
While the nailers are present in the world from yore, many new and advanced refinements have been made. Metals like magnesium and aluminum have come into picture. Oil lubrication is also being used in the past recent years. Now days, more attention is being given to easier grip and secure hold, which would not only complete the work faster but would also give it a professional touch.
Whether you’re a professional contractor or a DIY homeowner, you’ll find you get the job done in less than half the time it would have taken with a hammer and nails. Hence, the best finish nailer is a worth investment. As it would be used recursively in your home, it’s a worth have tool. Whether you are a professional worker or a novice, this buying guide has everything one needs to know about the finish nailer. Just keep in mind the various points discussed here while purchasing your tool and you would definitely strike a cord.